Commonly asked questions when learning to ride.

What is the minimum age to ride a motorcycle?

17 years old is the entry age for riding a motorcycle of up to 50cc on a CBT with L-plates.

I have a car licence - do I need to re-sit my theory test?

There is a motorcycle specific theory test, where a number of the questions relate directly to using a motorcycle on the road. You would need to take this in order to take your motorcycle test but not your CBT.

What licence do I need to do motorcycle training?

A provisional motorcycle licence is required to complete you CBT and you will need a CBT in order to start training for your test. Most full car licenses include this.

What will my CBT involve?

A CBT is a basic course designed to teach you how to ride a motorcycle and is split in to 5 elements.

Element A

Element A is an overview of the day, including an introduction to the safety equipment and clothing that you will be using on the day, as well as an eyesight check.

Element B

Element B introduces you to the machine that you will be using, go over the controls, machine checks and how to move the bike around manually and taking it on and off the stand.

Element C

Element C gets you on the bike for the first time, firstly getting you to do slow manoeuvers so that you can learn how the machine rides, how to use the brakes and gear (if applicable) and the observations that you must do when riding on the road.

Element D

Element D looks at the Highway Code and road laws. You should cover the rules on insurance, MOT's, speed and driving under the influence of drink or drugs. You should also go over how to look after yourself when riding on the road, talking about things like riding whilst upset or angry, being seen on the road, hazards you might encounter and different weather conditions.

Element E

Element E is the road ride section, where you go out on the road for the first time. At most, there will be just you, an instructor and one other student and you will be taken to different types of junctions and roads to introduce you to them. You will also attempt a couple of basic manoeuvres on the road. You will spend at least 2 hours out on the road.

What should I bring with me?

You will need to bring your provisional licence with you. This is mandatory and without it, you cannot ride.

You will also need to have a basic understanding of the Highway Code, so pick up a copy and have a read through before you start.

Sturdy clothing and footwear that covers your ankles. Glasses if need be.

How long does the CBT take?

A CBT doesn't have a pre-set length of time, however you must get through all 5 elements of it, including a minimum 2 hour road ride. It is normally completed within a day, although sometimes people need a little longer to get through the course. Not everyone learns at the same rate, aome customers will take longer. Your instructor can guide you through this process.

Will my CBT expire?

A CBT certificate lasts two years from date of issue. You will either need to retake your CBT or undertake further training and gain a full licence before it expires.

Once I've passed my CBT can I ride on a motorway or take a pillion?

No, a CBT will allow you to ride up to a 125cc bike (depending on age) on L plates. However, you are unable to go on a motorway or carry passengers.

Does everyone get through the first time?

CBT is not a test, but there is the possibility that you do not reach the required standard. However, by knowing your limits, listening to your instructor and taking your time you will have a great chance of passing.

What happens if I fail my CBT?

A CBT isn't a test, and therefore you cannot fail it as such. However, you are required to complete all of the elements of the CBT. This includes a 2-hour road ride on a public highway, which you will only take if the instructor deems you ready for riding on the road. As we all learn at a different pace, sometimes some students require additional training to get to the level required to go out on the road ride.

Can I use a foreign licence to take my CBT?

Usually you must have a UK provisional bike licence. Full car licences from countries within the EU/EEA can be used as provisional motorcycle entitlement only if supported by a D91 issued by DVLA. Applications for a D91 should be made on a D9 form.

Do the courses get cancelled for bad weather?

Yes, but rarely. You will need to learn to ride a bike in most conditions such as rain, sleet or snow as you might get caught out in the future. However, certain manoeuvres cannot be completed in certain conditions.

If I pass through KRTS what would be the further benefits for me?

Once you have passed your test, you will get a voucher off a new (£100) or used (£50) Kawasaki from your local Kawasaki dealer.

You also receive a discount from Kawasaki Insurance.

Will my Module 1 and/or Module 2 expire?

Your Module 1 certificate will expire when the theory test that you had when you took that test expires. Even if you re-take your theory test, you Module 1 will expire when your first theory test certificate runs out. Once you have passed Module 2 test, you will have the corresponding licence, as you cannot take your Module 2 before passing your Module 1.

How old must I be to do a full licence course?

At 24 years old, you can take your full licence test to ride any bike regardless of cc or power output. Before that, there are power restrictions or cc restrictions depending on age. Between 17 and 19, you are limited to a 125cc (although you can still take pillions and go on motorways once you have passed you test) and between 19 and 24, you a limited to 35kw or 46.6hp. A lot of bikes can be restricted down to this power, so long as it doesn't start with more than 70Kw when it was manufactured (don't worry though, a restricted Z650 will still have 2.5 times the power to weight ratio of a 2.0l BMW 3 series). To move up the licence brackets, you will need to retake module 1 and module 2 on a larger motorcycle.

Why would I need advanced training?

Advance training or post-test training is designed to give you additional skills to the ones that you were originally taught when you took your test. These include road positioning for different scenarios, observation skills and machine control, all to make you a more rounded and safer rider. Please note this is not available at all KRTS Schools.

Does advanced training help reduce my bike insurance?

Most insurance companies will offer a discount to riders who have completed certain types of advanced training. It would be worth checking which advanced rider scheme your insurance company recognises and speaking with your local KRTS school to find out which scheme they offer.

Can I use my own motorcycle for any of the tests and courses?

In most cases yes, however you would need to insure the bike to be used by a learner. Also, depending on the test that you are taking, there are minimum vehicle requirements.

Do you offer Ladies only days?

Some schools offer lady only days. Contact your local school to find out more.

Other information to note

Anyone who passed their car driving test (category B) before 1 February 2001:

  • Has full moped entitlement (category P/AM)
  • Doesn't need to take a CBT course to ride a moped

Anyone who passed their car driving test (category B) after 1 February 2001 has to take a single CBT course to validate their moped rights (category P/AM). They can then:

  • Ride a moped only without L-plates
  • Carry pillion passengers on a moped only